Spontaneity and the Day It Changed My Life

“The condition of being spontaneous; spontaneous behavior or action”.

I am not a very spontaneous person, or am I? I am still a little unsure. I do come up with some hair brained ideas at the last minute and insist that we execute it immediately. Is that spontaneity or is that instant gratification? Either way, it has drove plenty of people bananas in my lifetime. 

 

Like the time I wanted my bedroom in my new house after my divorce completely done, painted, bed and dressers assembled, new bed spread, wall décor, closet organized all in one night...after a full day of work. By 4am my mom and I were done, and she was sleep walking wondering how she created such a monster in me. 

 

Or there was the time I wanted a desk built into my other closet, I found it on Pinterest, and it HAD to be done that day. I didn’t care how, superglue it together for all I care, I had to have it to function and get work done the next day. So, by 12:30am I had a new desk, decked out and organized ready for the next day of work forgetting to mention that I had a trade show and would be leaving to go out of town so the desk couldn’t be used until that following Monday. I paid in Coor’s light and pizza. The kids just laughed at my friend who couldn’t help but laugh with them at what could only be described as my short-term insanity. 


I have been called a brat at times; I call it being an only child.

 

There is one time that I am certain that it was spontaneity. That is the only way to describe it. It was my birthday dinner celebration at Mirepoix. A cooking class/competition with a group of your friends where they teach you how to cook gourmet meals and are judged on presentation and taste. You are broken up into 2 teams and you compete against each other. You should check it out if they have it in your area it is a total blast. Oh, and they serve wine the whole time. 

 

So, we presented our dishes, of course my team won, I mean I was the birthday girl, but I think we would have won anyway. We all sit down to feast on the delicious meal that we just prepared, and the night starts winding down to which of course leads our GIANT social circle, also known as the RODC, Royal Oak Drama Club, to move on to our regular Saturday night bar for what some call a night cap but usually just more shenanigans. 

 

My spontaneous moment, and I mean spontaneous. I came up with this idea as we were exiting the building. 

 

What I was supposed to do: continue to our local bar to keep celebrating my birthday with all my friends. 

 

What I did: Went back to Corby’s house with a couple of other friends that weren’t in the mood for the bar either and flirt with him. I don’t know why other than I just didn’t want to go to the bar and hanging with them at Corby’s house sounded fun. Skip ahead 4 years later and here we are, married. One spontaneous night with someone I had known for 8 years, and we never looked back, spent almost every day together after that and talked or texted everyday all day. All the way until May 28th, 2021, when he asked me to marry him. I moved in shortly after. 

 

We got married on June 25th, 2022, and it was the most beautiful day filled with so much love. Who would have thought one silly wine filled night would lead to this life we continue to build together. I still find it so crazy the twists and turns life take you through to end up right where you belong without even knowing it. 





XOXO April




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me We've All Been There...

Our Book Club is Better Than Your Book Club

An Oldie: SAFE!! (Originally Posted 4.20.2011)